All visitors entering Laos must possess valid passports. Visas can be obtained from Lao Embassies and Consulates abroad. In addition, visas can also be obtained on arrival at the international checkpoint.
Visas can be secured in advance of arrival at Lao Embassies. This can be done in several ways through a tour company recognized by the Lao PDR, from Lao Embassies or Consulate in countries.
For those wishing to extend their stay, it is possible to extend your visa at the Immigration Office in Vientiane, through travel agencies. It is also possible to obtain a Visa-on-Arrival at international checkpoints.
Validity starts from day of entry into Laos. Tourist/Business: 30 days (can be extended twice in Vientiane for 30 days). Visas must be used within three months of being issued.
Those requiring visas should obtain them in their home country before travelling to Laos. Visas are available on arrival at international checkpoints. On entering Laos visitors must ensure they receive an entry stamp in their passport as fines for not having one are high. All visitors’ passports should be valid for at least six months.
• Wattay International Airport in Vientiane Capital.
• Luang Prabang International Airport in Luang Prabang Province.
• Pakse Internatioanl Airport in Champasack Province.
• Savannakhet International Airport in Savannakhet Province.
• Bohan – Boten (Yunnan – Luang Namtha Province)
• Lantoui (Phongsaly Province)
• Vang Poung – Ban Muang Mom (Yangon – Bokeo Province) “No Visa-on-arrival”
• Chiang Khong – Houai Xay (Chiang Rai – Bokeo Province)
• Nakaxeng – Nam Heuang (Loei – Sayabouly Province)
• Houai Kon – Nam Ngeun (Nan – Sayabouly Province)
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge I (Nongkhay – Vientiane Capital)
• Train Station (Nongkhay – Vientiane Capital)
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge II (Moukdahan – Savannakhet Province)
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge III (Nakorn Phanom – Khammouane Province)
• Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge IV (Chiang Khong-Bokeo Province)
• Bungkan – Pakxan (Nongkhay-Bolikhamxay Province) “No Visa-on-arrival”
• Chongmek – Vangtao, Ubol Ratchathani to Champasack Province.
• Taichang – Pang Hok, Dien Bien to Phongsaly Province
• Nameo – Nam Souy, Thanh Hoa to Houaphanh Province.
• Namkan – Namkan (Nge An – Xieng Khouang Province)
• Kao Jeo – Nam Pao (Ha tinh – Bolikhamxay Province)
• Napao – Chalo (Quangbinh – Khammouane Province)
• Laobao – Dansavanh (Quang tri – Savannakhet Province)
• Bo-er – Phou Keua (Kom Toum – Attapeu Province)
• Lalai (Salavanh Province)
• Pra Preng Krian – Nong Nok Khian (Cambodia – Champasak Province)