Vietnam is a beautiful country in Southeast Asia with a rich history and culture. From breathtaking landscapes like Ha Long Bay to bustling cities like Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam has something to offer every traveler. If you are looking to book an unforgettable Vietnam holiday from South Africa, this article will provide you with everything you need to know.
Why Book a Vietnam Holiday Package?
Booking a pre-planned Vietnam holiday package from South Africa comes with many advantages:
- A holiday package takes care of all the planning for your trip to Vietnam. Your itinerary, accommodations, transportation, activities etc. will all be arranged by the travel agent. This saves you the hassle of having to plan everything yourself.
- Packages are often cheaper than making all the bookings individually. Travel agents can get discounts on things like hotels, flights and tours. This saves you money compared to arranging everything on your own.
- The travel agents arranging your Vietnam package will have extensive knowledge of the destination. They can suggest the best places to visit, hotels to stay at, tours to take etc. This insider expertise ensures you have an amazing trip.
- Many Vietnam holiday packages are customizable, so you can tweak the itinerary to your liking by adding/removing places or activities. This flexibility ensures the package suits your needs.
Peace of Mind
- When you book through a travel agent, your money is secure and you have support in case anything goes wrong during the trip. You don’t have to worry about handling issues on your own in a foreign country.
With so many benefits, a Vietnam holiday package from South Africa is a great choice for travelers who want a well-planned trip without the hassle of DIY planning.
Popular Vietnam Holiday Package Itineraries
Vietnam is a large country, so it helps to plan your Vietnam holiday package around a particular region or theme. Here are some popular Vietnam holiday package itineraries to consider:
North to South Vietnam
This is the classic Vietnam itinerary, taking you from Hanoi in the north to Ho Chi Minh City in the south. Key highlights include:
- Hanoi – Visit sights like the Old Quarter, Hoan Kiem Lake and Hỏa Lò Prison.
- Ha Long Bay – Cruise the stunning limestone islands and karsts.
- Hue – See imperial palaces and tombs.
- Hoi An – Explore the ancient town, beaches and countryside.
- Ho Chi Minh City – Discover Vietnam’s buzzing modern metropolis.
This holiday package hits Vietnam’s top attractions:
- Hanoi – See highlights like the Temple of Literature and Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.
- Ha Long Bay – Cruise the picturesque bay.
- Hoi An – Marvel at the old town’s architecture.
- Ho Chi Minh City – Visit landmarks like Notre Dame Cathedral and the Reunification Palace.
Best of Northern Vietnam
Explore Vietnam’s captivating north:
- Hanoi – Enjoy the capital’s blend of old and new.
- Ninh Binh – Boat through stunning karst scenery.
- Ha Long Bay – Sail the island-dotted bay.
- Sapa – Trek rice terraces and stay in hill tribe villages.
Vietnam Beach Escape
Relax at some of Vietnam’s best beaches:
- An Bang Beach in Hoi An – Lounge on the white sand beaches.
- Nha Trang – Swim and snorkel in the turquoise waters.
- Phu Quoc Island – Stay at a beachfront resort in paradise.
- Con Dao Islands – Enjoy pristine beaches in an off-the-beaten-path locale.
Vietnam and Cambodia Combination
Pair Vietnam with neighboring Cambodia:
- Hanoi & Ha Long Bay
- Danang and Hoi An
- Ho Chi Minh City
- Siem Reap & Angkor Wat
Get the best of both countries on this popular combo holiday package.
The options are vast, so talk to a travel agent to find a Vietnam holiday package itinerary that best matches your interests!
Best Time to Visit Vietnam
Vietnam’s weather varies by region, so when you visit depends on where you are going:
- North (Hanoi): The best time is October to December when its dry and cool. February to April sees excellent weather too. Summers are hot and humid.
- Ha Long Bay: October through March offers sunny, cool days perfect for cruising the bay. Summer is hot with more rain.
- Central (Hue, Hoi An): The central region has warm, dry weather from January to August making it the ideal time to visit. Summer (June-August) can be very hot.
- South (Ho Chi Minh City): The dry season from December to April is a great time to visit the south. The rainy season runs from May to November, with high heat and humidity.
No matter when you visit, the weather will be hot and humid in Vietnam compared to South Africa. The best approach is to plan your Vietnam holiday package around the kind of experience you want e.g. cooler weather in the north or beach time down south.
Top Things to Do in Vietnam
From natural beauty to historic sites, Vietnam offers endless things to see and do. Here are some top activities and attractions to include in your holiday package itinerary:
Ha Long Bay
Cruising amongst the forested limestone peaks rising from the emerald waters of Ha Long Bay is an experience like no other. A must-do activity on any Vietnam holiday.
Wander the streets of this perfectly preserved ancient port town with its temples, architecture and laid-back riverside vibe.
Sa Pa Trekking
Trek through rice terraces, fruit orchards and tiny villages inhabited by hill tribes around the mountain town of Sa Pa in northwest Vietnam.
Cue Phuong National Park
Go caving through immense cave systems filled with towering stalagmites, rippling streams and macaques in the jungle.
Imperial Citadel, Hue
Get a glimpse into Vietnam’s imperial past at this grand citadel complex that was once home to the Nguyen Dynasty emperors.
Ho Chi Minh City
Experience the hustle and bustle of Vietnam’s largest, most dynamic city. Don’t miss attractions like the Reunification Palace, Notre Dame Cathedral and Ben Thanh Market.
Cruise through floating markets, see riverside villages and explore tropical fruit orchards as you boat through the lush Mekong Delta.
With endless options, any holiday package to Vietnam will let you see the country’s captivating top attractions.
Best Places to Stay in Vietnam
From luxury hotels to budget hostels, Vietnam has accommodation options to suit every style and budget:
- Sofitel Legend Metropole, Hanoi – Historic colonial-era luxury in the heart of Hanoi. Pool, spa and fine dining on offer.
- Capella Hotel, Hanoi – Located near to Hanoi Opera House and Hoan Kiem Lake, Capella Hanoi’s 47 rooms and suites are individually styled with historical opera ornaments.
- Four Seasons Resort, Hoi An – Beachfront resort with villas, tropical gardens and a world-class spa.
- InterContinental Danang Sun Peninsula Resort – Stunning cliff-side resort with private beach, pools, golf course and fine dining.
- The Reverie Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City – Opulent rooms and suites with Italian furnishings in downtown Ho Chi Minh City. Rooftop bar has great city views.
- Hotel des Arts Saigon – Luxurious MGallery hotel with Art Deco styling, cafe and pool in downtown Saigon.
- Aira Boutique Hotel, Hanoi – Chic, modern rooms near top attractions. Rooftop bar.
- La Siesta Classic Hotel, Hanoi – Colonial style hotel in the Old Quarter with rooftop dining.
- Little Boutique Hoian, Hoi An – Intimate 9-room boutique hotel with indoor pool, a short walk to Japanese bridge and the ancient town.
- Eldora Hotel, Hue – Colonial-inspired 4-star hotel on the Perfume River. indoor pool and dining.
- The Odys Boutique Hotel, Ho Chi Minh City – Sleek, stylish hotel in downtown Saigon.
From backpacker dorms to luxury suites, any Vietnam holiday package can include accommodation to fit your style and budget.
How to Get from South Africa to Vietnam
To reach Vietnam from South Africa, the most direct option is to fly. There are no direct flights from South Africa, so you will need to connect via a hub city like Dubai.
Here are some tips for finding cheap flights to Vietnam:
- Book well in advance – Prices rise significantly closer to departure so book early.
- Be flexible on dates – Shifting your trip by a few days can save hundreds on airfare.
- Fly midweek – Flying between Monday to Thursday is often cheaper than weekends.
- Check multiple airlines – Compare fares across airlines like Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines and more.
- Use flight search engines – Try Skyscanner, Kayak and Google Flights to easily compare flights across airlines and dates.
- Look for sales – Airlines frequently run sales and specials that are not always advertised on their homepages.
Flights from Johannesburg or Cape Town to Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi via Dubai, Doha or Hong Kong are generally the cheapest and fastest route.
Cost of a Vietnam Holiday Package
The total cost of your Vietnam holiday package from South Africa can vary greatly depending on factors like:
- Length of trip (number of days)
- Number of destinations
- Types of accommodations – hotels, resorts, cruises etc.
- Inclusions like meals, transportation, activities, guides etc.
- Time of year you travel (high vs low season)
As a rough estimate, a 7-night holiday package to Vietnam can cost approximately:
- Budget: R12,000 – R18,000+ per person
- Mid-range: R22,000 – R32,000+ per person
- Luxury: R35,000+ per person
Packages in high season around holidays like Christmas may be more expensive. You can also save by choosing a shorter 4 to 5 night package.
Shop around and get quotes from multiple travel agents to find the best Vietnam holiday package deal from South Africa. Consider all inclusions to compare pricing accurately.
Top Places to Visit in Vietnam
Hanoi – The bustling capital with its blend of historic and modern echoes the energy of Johannesburg. Wander the atmospheric Old Quarter.
Ha Long Bay – Cruise the stunning limestone islands rising from the waters just like admiring the Drakensberg mountains back home.
Ninh Binh – Boat through breathtaking karst scenery akin to the Blyde River Canyon. See pagodas and temples.
Hue – This former imperial capital has a laidback vibe reminiscent of coastal cities like Durban. Visit the imperial citadel.
Danang – With its beaches, resorts and water sports, Danang offers experiences similar to Port Elizabeth.
Hoi An – The tranquil riverside town exudes small town charm like Pilgrim’s Rest.
Ho Chi Minh City – The hustle and bustle echoes Johannesburg. Experience markets, nightlife and attractions.
Mekong Delta – Cruise the floating markets and villages, just like houseboating along the Orange River back home.
Phu Quoc – Lounge on beautiful beaches edged by palm trees that feel just like Durban’s coastline.
Vietnam Holiday Travel Tips
To make the most of your Vietnam holiday package from South Africa, keep these travel tips in mind:
- Get visas in advance – Vietnam visas must often be obtained before arrival. Give yourself 6-8 weeks to get approval.
- Bring cash – Have some US dollars or Vietnamese Dong cash on hand as backup as ATMs sometimes run out.
- Dress respectfully – Cover shoulders and knees when visiting temples and mosques per the dress code.
- Browse markets – Haggle for souvenirs and locally made crafts at markets like Ben Thanh in Saigon.
- Try street food – Grab tasty, authentic and cheap meals at food stalls and markets. The street pho and coffee are must-tries!
- Expect crowds – Places like Ha Long Bay get very busy in peak season – go early to beat crowds.
- Leave cities on time – Trying to self-drive out of big cities like Hanoi in rush hour traffic can be challenging.
- Get travel insurance – Get comprehensive coverage in case you need medical care or evacuation during your trip.
Following these tips will ensure you have a smooth, enjoyable holiday in Vietnam!
Why Choose Vietnam for a Holiday?
What makes Vietnam such a fantastic holiday destination?
- Breathtaking natural scenery from mountain ranges to karst islands to white sand beaches
- Fascinating history and culture with ancient temples, imperial sites, war remnants and museums
- Exciting big cities like Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and Hoi An with great food, nightlife and shopping
- Adrenaline activities from trekking and caving to ziplines and seakayaking
- Relaxing beach getaways on islands like Phu Quoc and Con Dao
- Delicious cuisine including pho noodle soup, banh mi sandwiches, spring rolls and coffee
- Great value luxurious five-star resorts and hotels at affordable prices
- Friendly locals and superb service – Vietnam is very safe and welcoming
- Convenience of travel packages that handle planning and logistics
Whether you seek culture, adventure, relaxation or a mix, Vietnam has something for every travel style. Plus, flight times from South Africa are relatively short compared to other long-haul destinations.
For an unforgettable holiday, Vietnam packs incredible value and experiences into one exotic destination!
Popular Vietnam Holiday Package Providers
Here are some top-rated travel agents offering excellent Vietnam holiday packages from South Africa:
- Intrepid Travel – Small group adventure tours and tailor-made itineraries.
- G Adventures – Specialize in grassroots, eco-friendly travel with good local access.
- Contiki – Guided tours and multi-country packages for 18-35-year-old travelers.
Luxury Tour Operators
- Extraordinary Journeys – Upscale and exclusive Vietnam trips with top-notch accommodation and dining.
- Absolute Asia Travel – Bespoke luxury tours and customized itineraries for high-end travelers.
Compare packages across agents to get the best value based on your budget and trip preferences. Read reviews from past travelers to help choose a provider with consistently excellent service.
Vietnam Holiday Package FAQs
What is the best time of year to visit Vietnam?
The ideal time depends on which part of Vietnam you are visiting. In general, the cooler dry months from December to March are pleasant throughout the country.
How long do I need for a Vietnam holiday?
Most holiday packages range from 7 to 14 days which allows you to see the highlights at a comfortable pace. You could also do a quick 4 to 5 night highlights tour.
What vaccinations do I need?
No vaccinations are mandatory but it’s recommended to get hepatitis A, typhoid and diphtheria shots before traveling to Vietnam.
How much does a holiday to Vietnam cost?
An average 7-night package costs around R15,000 to R30,000+ per person depending on hotel class, inclusions etc. Flights will be extra.
Is Vietnam safe for tourists?
Absolutely! Vietnam is very safe – even for solo female travelers. Just take the usual precautions like avoiding poorly lit areas at night. Violent crime is rare.
What should I pack for Vietnam?
Bring lightweight clothing in breathable fabrics, swimwear if hitting the beach, hiking gear for trekking, umbrella or rain jacket for wet weather, walking shoes and sun protection.
With its serene beaches, vibrant city life, rich culture, lip-smacking cuisine and outstanding natural scenery, Vietnam is an incredible destination for a holiday. Booking a Vietnam holiday package from South Africa lets you experience the highlights of this diverse country in the most convenient and cost-effective way.
Compare packages across travel agents to get a customizable itinerary, top hotels, flights, visas, transportation and more bundled together at an affordable price. With expert planning, excellent convenience and amazing experiences, a Vietnam holiday package makes exploring this breathtaking destination easy and unforgettable.